Monday, January 23, 2012

Birch. Things for the Home, Heart & Soul

My lucky readers, you are in for a treat today!

Today's post features a new local shop owner, Nancy Christopher.  Nancy opened her shop, Birch in November of 2011.  I myself just discovered this gem as a result of my son stopping in one evening just as Nancy was closing.  She was kind enough to let him in.  He called me later that night to tell me I had to give the shop a visit because it was everything I love in decorating.

I soon dropped in for myself and was greeted by a very friendly woman, Nancy.  It was immediately apparent she is proud of her shop and her enthusiasm was contagious.  Her philosophy is to surround yourself with the things you love and that philosophy resonates throughout her shop.  Her shop is carefully put together and she has a wonderful eye for displaying all her goods.

After browsing for quite a while and thoroughly enjoying myself, I asked her if she would be interested in being a featured guest in one of my posts.  The rest as they say is history. 

Let's get to know Nancy and then see photos of Birch.

-How long have you had your shop at this location? 
We opened on November 26, 2011

-Did you have another shop prior to this one?
No I have never owned a shop, I have always had an interest though.
I love decorating, art and both new and old things, things that make me happy.

-Do you have a business background?
I do have a business background.  I have owned NCC Business Solutions, LLC for 26 years.  We do accounting and business management for different companies.  When I decided to purchase this building I wanted to carve out some space for my passion.

-What did you do prior to being a shop owner?
I worked hard and did as much on the creative side as time would allow.  I love gardening, painting, interior design and creating.  I also graduated from Henry Simmons Floral Design in Wellesley, MA.
One of my specialties is creating custom arrangements and gift baskets.

-How would you describe your shop?
I would describe it as a nature inspired small quaint shop, very eclectic with a little of everything.  I would like to think a nice place to visit, something for everyone and every occasion, and with a great atmosphere. 
My customer’s response has been that it is a shop you would find in Nantucket, Cape Cod, Newburyport, and Portsmouth which I consider a great compliment.

I think it is best described as a Gift Shop/gallery…Home Décor, garden accessories, antiques, art, unique gifts and more. 

-Do you sell your own items, consign for others, rent out space or all of the above?
I sell my own items and I do carry consignment items.  I like to support other local artists.

-Do you have children?  If so, how do you manage to juggle both family and work? 
I have a wonderful son!  He is 28 now and has always been a big supporter of my creative side.  He is the reason I own my core business of accounting.  It allowed me to be flexible so that I could be involved in every aspect of his life.  I could go to the baseball games and finish my work when I put him to bed at night.  I will tell you that juggling both family and business is always a challenge.
I now have a beautiful daughter in law as well.

-What would you say is your least favorite and what is your most favorite thing about running your  business?
My least favorite thing is the cost of doing business.   My most favorite thing is my customers.  To share inspiration and the pleasure of having that unique something that brings someone joy.

Here is Nancy on opening day


(L-R) Alicia & Brad Chabot (Son & Daughter in Law of Nancy), Nancy Christopher, Mayor Donnalee Lozeau

Now let's step into Birch
























Delicious Caramel made by Suss
Handmade in NH

Beautiful custom made arrangement








Birch dressed up for Christmas 2011




All ready for Valentine's Day 2012

Nancy is also a very talented artist and displays her paintings in a stairwell which serves as a gallery.
The focus of her paintings are nature inspired, she has a love of birds and flowers.  This is another way for Nancy to share her creative side.  Soon she will be featuring other local artists work.






Here is Nancy's gorgeous workshop just off of her showroom.  This is a space I could really feel good working in!  The workbench is fantastic.  It is an old florist table from France.




The sight of the farmer's sink literally made me stop in my tracks.  The legs alone are exquisite. This was a wonderful find from ADMAC Salvage in Littleton, NH.


You must make a point of stopping in to see Nancy and discover what new items she has in.   I promise you will not be disappointed.  While you're there remember Nancy's philosophy of surrounding yourself with what you love.  You'll be glad you did.



Birch is located at 154 Amherst St. Nashua, NH 03064
Standard hours of operation / phone number  821-3084

Photography by Austin Hogan

-Lisa



1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog. Looks like it is pretty new, best of luck!!! I really like it so far.
    I love this post, I never knew this store was there and I drive by all the time. I have Friday off and will definitely stop in!!
    Thanks,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Readers who leave comments are wonderful!