Monday, March 26, 2012

Here Comes Peter Cotton Tail...

....hopping down the bunny trail.

Who doesn't love a 'chubby bunny banner' ?  Say that 3 times fast.

So now you know why I whined in a previous post about desperately needing Alice from the Brady Bunch.
As you will see from this post, my priorities are a bit out of whack.  I clearly should have been doing laundry instead of craft-o-the-month.  Let's let that be our little secret, K?

I must admit I have never made a banner of any type in my life.  However, once a person like me gets sucked into this craft world, I find myself day dreaming about very important things like banners, wreaths, board and batten, diy chandeliers, coffee filters, you name it.  I've already crossed the line and there is no turning back.

Here is my first and probably last banner.






Don't get me wrong, I loved making it (more than I should admit).  I just had to get it out of my system and I think I'm all set now. 

So for anyone out there who likes banners, bunnies, pom poms and tea....read on, this is your lucky day for that very combination.

Here is what I did.
I googled a chubby bunny sillouette.  I printed it out and cut it out.

 
source
Ignore the individual sections, I just used the complete bunny sillouette


Once I had my cute chubby bunny, I thought I would get some sheet music (we have loads in our house!), tea stain it and then use that for the actual bunny.  Alas my creative little mind took over and I thought it would be more appropriate to use images from the tale of Peter Rabbit so I went back out into never never land using google and got 6 images from the tale.  I copied each one onto a seperate word doc and then enlarged the images to the size I thought would be appropriate for the size of my chubby bunny.

Once they were all printed I went onto the next step (this is a very labor intensive craft--wink wink).

I digress for a moment (skip ahead if you need to crank out a chubby bunny banner pronto).  For those of you who know me....I managed to jam the printer yet again.  Remember the last time I mentioned the jaws of life were necessary for my vellum paper fiasco?  My big hero man ended up needing to literally take the printer apart with tools (not as rugged as the jaws of life but tools nonethless).  Needless to say I am on a 60 day probabation with the printer and if I mess up,  I will lose my printing privalages but I like to live on the edge so I forged forward with my chubby bunny printing.

So here we at the next step....just use your template chubby bunny and cut out your bunnies from whatever you are using for your final bunny. 






Once you've cut out all the chubby bunnies you want, you will need to soak them is tea.  I used a pie plate and filled it with hot water (I find they absorb the color better with hot tea as opposed to cold).  I used 4 tea bags and soaked for 2 hours.  Add more if you want them darker.  I put 4 bunnies in at a time and made sure none of them were sticking together. 


OMG!  He is so cute.

I dried them out on a cookie rack.





Once they were all dry, I added some pompoms I had on hand from a lampshade I took apart.  Now they have cute little chubby tails to match their cute little chubby bodies. 


I just taped the back of them to twine and that was it.  Super Duper easy!


I think the little fellas came out pretty darn cute!
If you like what you see, please follow my blog (in right side bar).



                                                                        Linking up to:
               
                                                            My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia

                                                                      Vintage Wanna Bee

                                                                       No Minimalist Here

                                                                            Dear Lillie

                                                                           Brassy Apple

12 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is a pretty cute project! I love the way the banner looks over your window! Very pretty! I also loved your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say, I am your new follower and I also added you to my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cute banner - I particularly love the paper that you printed from 'Peter Rabbit'- absolutely gorgeous. Will try to get my girls to make this with me. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet, and perfect for Easter!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charming idea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Glad you're enjoying this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turned out great! I've tea stained fabric before, but not paper. I love your labor intensive craft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I love the tea stained color, well worth your time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely charming!

    hope you'll visit soon--a great giveaway hapenning:

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-giveaway.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the cutest banners I've seen in blogland! Love it! Pinned it!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Readers who leave comments are wonderful!